April 16, 2011

Danger!

With growth and maturity comes danger and risk. David is crawling and pulling up, so naturally very interesting things like electrical outlets, knives, heavy objects, beverages and many other potentially messy or hazardous items are now easily within reach. Would I keep him from crawling and pulling up, keep him from reaching and stretching and exploring in order to protect him from these things, or worse in order to save myself from having to deal with them or the consequences if I don't? Of course not. I love my son. I want him to grow, to be encouraged and learn natural consequences, learn to love exploration and investigation. What do we do, as adults, to stunt our own growth or the growth of our loved ones, our relationships with them, because we'd rather be preventative than adapt and risk the dangers?

No comments:

Post a Comment